INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana –
Some may find this hard to believe but it looks like a tug of war over the services of Buccaneers backup quarterback Mike Glennon is about to break out.
And the Bucs will be one of those pulling on the rope.
As general manager Jason Licht said Wednesday here at the NFL Scouting Combine, the Bucs are doing all they can to keep Glennon from reaching free agency, including offering a deal that sources confirm would make Glennon the NFL’s highest paid backup.
After four years of working in just such a backup role, though, Glennon wants an opportunity to be a starter somewhere, anywhere, and an NFL Network report says at least two teams are willing to provide him with that opportunity.
According to Ian Rapoport, the Bears and Jets are both preparing to make a bid for Glennon, whose true value on the open market is proving a little difficult to gauge.
Some have suggested Glennon could get as much as $15 million a year in a new deal if a team is willing to make him their starter. Others say Glennon shouldn’t even expect to get half that much. We wrote recently on the subject of Glennon’s possible value here.
What the Bears and Jets are preparing to offer Glennon is not yet known, but it makes sense that they have emerged as two of the teams that might be willing to take a chance on the 2013 third-round draft pick.
Though both franchises have top 10 picks in the 2017 NFL Draft, this year’s quarterback class is said by many scouts to be a mostly developmental group void of a player ready to step in as a Day One starter.
And the Bears and Jets are both in need of starters. The Bears are expected to finally get rid of Jay Cutler, which would leave them with only Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley at quarterback.
The Jets, meanwhile, are looking for someone who can outplay Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, and while he doesn’t have a lot of experience there’s reason to believe Glennon can do that.
The 6-foot-7 North Carolina State product has NFL size and an NFL arm and best of all, the Bucs have spent four years doing what so many quarterback-needy teams won’t or can’t do, which is develop him.
That doesn’t necessarily mean Glennon is ready to step in and start but with the exception of Cutler and Tony Romo, he may prove more ready to stat than anyone else that reaches the open market.
That’s one reason the Bucs still want Glennon. They have long believed that Glennon can not only start but win games for them, which is why they’ve increased their offer from a couple years ago.
The Bucs know better, though, than to think Glennon is going to come back, especially if he’s on the brink of getting competing offers from two teams ready to give him a shot at starting.
That’s why the Bucs are also trying to tie up Ryan Griffin, who is slated to become a restricted free agent. The Bucs are hoping to buy out the 2017 RFA year in Griffin’s deal and give him an extra year to boot.
Of course, there’s no guarantee they’ll be able to pull that deal off either, which is why the Bucs recently signed former Duke quarterback Sean Renfree to a two-year deal that keeps him around through 2018.
Neither Griffin nor Renfree seems to be as ready to step in and start as Glennon, but Licht said the team likes them both equally and has since they first signed Griffin last year.
“When we signed Griffin, he and Renfree were both target guys for us,’’ Licht said Wednesday. “Griffin was the one became available so we got him, but it’s good to have competition there.’’
The Bucs have competition at quarterback, alright. Just not the kind they hoped to have.