Connect with us

News

Will participants in last week’s “40 yards of Gold” ever see any money?

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

There was no doubt last Saturday night who was the fastest current NFL player was at the “40 yards of Gold” match race event in Sunrise at the BB&T Center. However, six days after the event, there’s now real doubt as to whether most or all of the participants are ever going to see their money.

Sports Business Journal reported late Friday afternoon that several of the participants, including the winner Marquise Goodwin of the 49ers (above), in the made for TV match race tournament have still not been paid anything despite having been assured guaranteed money for showing up:

Goodwin a former All-American track star at the University of Texas and Olympic trials team member for the United States, easily bested 16 participant field. And, he was supposed to have been paid $1 million by the promoters.

However, a report from the agent for Vikings WR Jeff Badet saying that his client had yet to be paid his $25,000 guaranteed appearance fee that he was contractually assured of for the event continued on Friday. So, there is great doubt that Goodwin will ever receive most or all of that large sum of money.

Badet’s agent told SBJ late Friday afternoon:

“The contract was explicitly clear,” Sarubbi said. “Jeff was an independent contractor who was promised $25,000 upon arrival, before the event on June 29. That has not been paid as of 5:00pm today. It does not look likely it will be, based on the correspondence we have had.”

Former NFL star, including with the Dolphins, Chad Johnson was one of the organizers, helped promote the match race event and was also part of the $39.95  pay-per-view broadcast.

However, a couple of the prominent participants: Saints receiver Ted Ginn and Giants defensive back Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie apparently got wind that there might be something dubious going on. And, they chose not to show up and participate despite having been listed on promotional materials and the event’s website.

We reported that a Miami media source had told us prior to last Saturday night there was not a crowd of more than 2,000 to be expected to attend, as ticket sales had been poor leading up to the event. Media members, and a separate source who we talked to that was in the building last Saturday all reported that the dimly-lit BB&T Center had fewer than 4,000 and probably closer to 2,000 or less people mainly in the lower level.

SBJ also learned that the promoter/founder of the event, Charles Stewart, had been telling participants that they would now be wired the money for participation, etc., but on Friday that came and went.

So now, there is a very real likelihood that the entire event turns out to be the latest scam that only reminds current players to be wary of anyone trying to use their likeness, abilities and time, especially if they’re hoping to be paid for it.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisement Big Savings for Big Fans at Fanatics.com

Trending