Yet another sign of the floundering college football bowl system came to light Wednesday, as the “Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl,” a game with 10 years of struggling to gain traction in downtown St. Petersburg, is moving to Tampa and Raymond James Stadium.
ESPN, which owns and operates the game, made the announcement that the game, which will be played Thursday night December 20th, is leaving one side of Tampa Bay for the other.
From their release:
“We are excited about the continued growth of this bowl game,” said Clint Overby, vice president of ESPN Events. “I want to thank those we have worked with in St. Petersburg and at Tropicana Field in helping us build this game into a quality, postseason experience.”
The Bowl’s executive director also weighed in:
“Since the inception of the bowl in 2008 our staff has aimed to forge special relationships with stakeholders on both sides of Bay,” said Brett Dulaney, Executive Director of the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl. “This move will continue to support our ability to better expand our relationships across Tampa Bay. With our new home at Raymond James Stadium, Bad Boy Mowers, the two participating teams and their fans will be able to enjoy the incredible benefits of one of the best football venues in America.”
We wrote over the weekend about the flailing bowl system in and how if you are in the second tier, like the Gator Bowl, there are struggles. Well, this game has clearly been in the third tier usually having a match-up with at least one or both programs not being from a Power Five conference.
The game a year ago, played at Tropicana Field, the home of the MLB Tampa Bay Rays, pitted Temple (American Conference) against FIU (Conference USA). However, they announced only 16,363 in attendance.
And, as this Twitter photo shows, that may have been generous:
This is why there are too many college bowl games. pic.twitter.com/qD4FghgRGa
— Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) December 22, 2017
The hope is the stadium that hosts the Buccaneers, USF Football and the Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day every year in Tampa will help attract more of the local/regional fans to come and watch.
Still, the schools involved and their fan bases will dictate that the most.
New Jersey authorities charge Janoris Jenkins brother in homicide at his home
It only took a little over 24 hours for authorities in Bergen County, New Jersey to make an arrest in the homicide at the home of New York Giants defensive back Janoris Jenkins. And as it turns out, Jenkins older brother William is being charged aggravated manslaughter in the death of 25-year-old Roosevelt Rene.
Rene, who had been staying at the Jenkins home as a guest and friend of the family, was found by a worker in the basement of the home on Tuesday morning.
The 34 year old older brother, William Jenkins had been taken into custody early Tuesday in New Jersey and was sent to Ontario County, New York on a parole violation. He is in the process of being extradited across the New York/New Jersey state lines to Bergen County to face the manslaughter charge.
JUST IN: Janoris Jenkins’ brother charged with manslaughter https://t.co/c3u8x4UE3M
— New York Post (@nypost) June 27, 2018
On Monday evening the NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reported that Rene had been strangled or suffocated to death.
Meanwhile. Janoris Jenkins, who just completed his second season with the Giants after signing as a free agent, is reportedly still in Florida. And, he has yet to comment either himself or through a spokesperson about the death at his home.
Janoris Jenkins was not believed to have been home this weekend as neighbors reported that he and his girlfriend had gone to Florida two weeks ago after Giants mini-camp at concluded.
The Giants have had no comment other than they are monitoring the situation.
As we wrote on Monday, Jenkins is a former star at Pahokee High School where they won the state championship and was part of the Gators National Championship season of 2008 as a freshman in Gainesville.
Is there a referee crisis for the NFL?
Over the course of the past couple of weeks a story has developed that isn’t getting nearly as much attention as it probably should.
Whether or not Quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski are happy or unhappy with the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick is also a big deal.
And yes, whether or not players, like Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald and Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones, can get new contracts or will be holding out come training camp next month is again, a big deal.
However, we haven’t seen nearly as much coverage on something that is also very significant once the game start being played. There are four former NFL referees from a year ago that have all resigned/retired and that’s a big number all at once.
As is laid out here, with the NBC official announcement Thursday that former referee Terry McAulay will be joining NBC Sunday Night Football in the booth, that means three of them will be in the Network TV booth this fall:
Now official: Terry McAulay to NBC. Gene Steratore to CBS. Per sources: Jeff Triplette to ESPN to replace Gerry Austin, who joined Raiders.
— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) June 27, 2018
There has already been some eyebrow raising at Triplette going to Monday Night Football as a rules expert for ESPN, but they obviously had a need when Gerry Austin agreed to go join former MNF analyst Jon Gruden in a newly created position with the Raiders.
And as for Steratore, who worked Superbowl 52 last year, he will serve not only in the booth with the Jim Nantz and Tony Romo, but will be used as a college basketball rules analyst this winter for CBS’ hoops coverage. He’s shown above dealing with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll being on the field and flagged 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct in their December loss at the Jaguars.
The fourth referee is Ed Hochuli, who is retiring and yet to have a TV role, if there is one for him.
The bigger point is that everyone of these head referees are long time veterans and represent approximately 25-30% of the referees who work weekends in the NFL.
And in the cases of Steratore and McAulay, they are younger than Triplette and Hochuli, and could have conceivably been referees another 10 years or so, had they wanted.
So, why didn’t they want to continue?
Former supervisor of the NFL officials and now Fox TV rules analyst, Mike Pereira, has repeatedly expressed that due to the micromanaging that HD replay reviews have caused, that many of the “rank and file” are disgruntled and discouraged.
And, if several on field officials can follow his lead and end up with a high paying network TV gig, then who can begrudge them?
Still, we at F.F.I. can’t hope but wonder if this kind of turnover with head referees will have some effect with the new ones taking over botching calls or situations come this fall.
Former Bucs first round pick McCants arrested, again
The sad tale of former Buccaneers number one pick Keith McCants continues, as early Monday morning he was arrested, yet again, this time in St. Petersburg for drug possession.
McCants, who was taken fourth overall as the Bucs first round pick in 1990, was booked in the Pinellas County jail for felony possession of crack cocaine.
According to jail records, this is the ninth different time that McCants has been arrested on some charge in the Tampa Bay area in the last eight years.
McCants, now 50 years old, never lived up to the billing of being taken in the top five, as he played only three seasons in Tampa Bay,. He battled weight and knee problems and only registered 12 sacks in three seasons. He also played for the Oilers and the Cardinals in subsequent seasons, but was out of the NFL by 1995.
McCants has repeatedly tried to get his life in order, including giving motivational speeches and writing an essay in the Sporting News in 2011 warning younger players about dangers with drugs, etc. and his troubles.
The former Alabama All American was also featured on the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary “Broke” in 2012, where he detailed how he had lost all of his $4.5 million dollars from his playing career.
McCants was booked at 4:24 a.m. in the Pinellas County Jail Monday morning and bonded out at $2,000 on the felony charge for drug possession, and also for driving with a revoked or suspended license.
One of McCants previous arrests was for driving with a suspended license in January of this year and he was to have stood trial on July 10th on that charge.
Jacksonville Jaguars1 week ago
Mystery continues but Jaguars Fournette not likely to play
Tampa Bay Buccaneers4 days ago
Arizona Uber driver sued Bucs Jameis Winston Tuesday
Florida State Seminoles1 week ago
FSU’s “Rag-tag” Taggart team tagged, flagged and bagged Saturday
Florida State Seminoles5 days ago
No, Florida State is not getting rid of Willie Taggart