Connect with us

Miami Hurricanes

Defense rests in Kellen Winslow sexual assault trial

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The defense has rested Monday afternoon in the sexual assault trial of former Miami Hurricanes All-American and NFL star Kellen Winslow II in San Diego, CA.

Lawyers for the 35 year old son of the Hall of Famer with the same name, called only five witnesses on his behalf Monday and most importantly, Winslow did not take the stand to rebut the allegations made by numerous accusers:

Prosecutors have charged Winslow with 12 criminal counts in a combined trial that has five alleged victims. Three of the accusers say that Winslow raped them, including one who says that she was 17 years old at the time in 2003. Winslow was also charged with other crimes including indecent exposure and lewd conduct involving two other women.

All three of the alleged sexual assault victims, including two homeless women in their 50s, faced Winslow in court and testified to his alleged actions. Observers said that the most compelling of the accusers was the now, 33 year old woman, “Jane Doe #3”, who was a 17 year old teenager in 2003.

She admitted that she had had consensual sex earlier that summer with Winslow, who at the time was a 19 year year old junior at the University of Miami, and was back home for the summer in San Diego. However, that Jane Doe says that Winslow forcibly raped her weeks later at a friend’s home with others in the house at the time.

The prosecution rested its case on Thursday afternoon and court was not in session on Friday. It had been expected that Winslow’s team of lawyers would put on a somewhat more lengthy defense, than what they eventually chose to do on Monday. The prosecution had no rebuttal witnesses Monday.

Winslow played for the Hurricanes from 2001 through 2003. He earned All-American honors and the John Mackey Award for the nation’s top tight end in his final season. He was the sixth overall pick of the Browns in the 2004 draft, where he reunited with the coach that recruited him and coached him originally at Miami, Butch Davis.

After his rookie season Winslow suffered a horrific knee and leg injuries in a motorcycle accident in a Cleveland suburb mall parking lot. He was unable to play in the 2005 season, because of the injuries.

Winslow played three more seasons for the Browns before being traded in the 2009 offseason to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In exchange for a second and fifth round picks, the Bucs acquired Winslow and gave him, at that time, the largest contract for a tight end in NFL history with $36 million over six seasons.

In his first season in Tampa Bay he set the Bucs single season tight end receiving record with 77 catches and 884 yards. He led the team in receptions again in 2010, as the Bucs finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. In his final Buccaneers season of 2011 Winslow finished with 75 receptions in a dismal 4-12 year.

Winslow was traded in the offseason of 2012 to the Seattle Seahawks, but they released him months later, when he refused to reduce his salary.

He bounced after that to the New England Patriots and the New York Jets with his final season being 2013. With the Jets, he only started three games, and was also suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the League’s substance-abuse policy.

Back to Monday. Judge Blaine Bowman told the jury that there would be closing arguments Tuesday morning, and then they would receive the case, thereafter.

Winslow is facing life in prison on the number of charges against him.

Miami Hurricanes

Hurricanes QB Williams intends to transfer

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

The only constant for the last two seasons with the Miami Hurricanes quarterback position has been change and with the addition of Houston transfer D’Eriq King earlier this week, it apparently means more changes are on the way for the competition.

Sports Illustrated college football Insider Pat Forde reported Thursday afternoon that the Miami starter for most of the season, freshman Jarren Williams, has entered the NCAA transfer portal:

Williams won the starting job for first-year coach Manny Diaz and now-fired former offensive coordinator Dan Enos, during fall practice what had an up-and-down season. He played in all 12 games with a 61% completion percentage and had a 19/7 TD to INT ratio. 

However, more importantly the Hurricanes offense as a whole went down the tubes. This was especially in their final three games Williams was at the helm for the stunning loss to Florida International, where he threw three interceptions.

He and the Canes followed that with a road loss at awful Duke, where Williams tallied only 142 yards with a TD. And, worst yet, with rumors swirling everywhere that Enos was about to be fired,  a game in Independence Bowl where the QB had just 92 yards and an INT Miami failed to score in a 14 – 0 defeat to Louisiana Tech.

King is the presumptive starter after having a successful two seasons at Houston. His best year was 2018 with nearly 2,900 yards in the air with 36 passing TDs and only 6 INTS.

However, he was benched by new coach Dana Holgorsen earlly this year and is a graduate transfer that is immediately eligible.

Miami also has the part-time starter from the last two years N’kosi Perry, as well as former Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell, who transferred and was immediately eligible this past season. However, Martell couldn’t beat Williams or Perry out for playing time, but he did play briefly at time at wide receiver.

Back to Williams, he still has three years of eligibility remaining but unless he gained some kind of waiver he would have to sit hey transfer year next season.

Continue Reading

Miami Hurricanes

Not so fast on QB D’Eriq King coming to Hurricanes?

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

24 hours later it doesn’t look dead certain that Houston transfer quarterback D’Eriq King will end up at the University of Miami after all.

In fact, it may be several days before we know the coveted grad transfer QB decides to do.

This after a report Sunday out of Houston from Fox 26 Sports director Mark Berman ,who got comments from King about his short term plans and visits:

It is interesting that King is considering Maryland in the mix in addition to powerhouse LSU and possibly trying to revitalize Miami.

As our Jamil King wrote on Sunday it looked like the Houston standout quarterback was “e-ticketed” for Coral Gables and to come as a package deal with newly hired offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. Lashlee, who has previously been at Auburn and the SMU offensive coordinator the last couple of seasons, was hired two weeks ago to help jump start the Canes disastrous offense from the second half of last year.

Quarterback play plagued the Canes in 2019 with Jarren Williams showing flashes of great play followed by freshman mistakes and inconsistency. N’kosi Perry found his way into some games, but was also inconsistent in his own right. Miami suffered humiliating losses to FIU and at Duke to close the regular season.

Then, the Hurricanes were completely inept in the Independence Bowl, while being shut out 14-0. This, while rumors were swirling everywhere that coach Manny Diaz would be firing his first year offensive coordinator, Dan Enos. Enos, who had been the QB coach at Alabama, was fired the next day.

Back to King, if the Hurricanes are able to land him, they get a player who over his career at the University of Houston threw for 4,925 yards for an average of 8.2 yards per attempt and tossed 50 touchdowns with only ten interceptions.

King also completed almost 62% of his passes with the Cougars, adding another 28 touchdowns on the ground. He promises to bring some explosives, something the Canes desperately needed, if they can land him.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement Shop thousands of officially-licensed NFL items at NFLShop.com

Trending