Connect with us

Miami Dolphins

Report- Dolphins give coach Brian Flores vote of confidence

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
Big Savings for Big Fans at Fanatics.com

Despite the horrific first six weeks of the season, it appears that coach Brian Flores will not be held accountable for it at least for 2019.

A report Tuesday afternoon from Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald says that he’s been told by a high-ranking source close to the Dolphins and the situation that the first year coach is safe at least for now:

Jackson didn’t elaborate much other than the source at the league owners meeting basically said Flores will not be held responsible, even if the Dolphins were to complete the third 0-16 season in modern NFL history later this year.

Miami’s latest defeat on Sunday was a dramatic 17 – 16 loss to the Washington Redskins, where Flores elected to go for two and the win after scoring a touchdown in the final :06 of the game. Veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, who led the fourth quarter comeback, had his pass to Kenyan Drake for the two-point play fall incomplete sealing their fifth consecutive loss to start this campaign.

Despite Miami having been outscored by more than 140 points in just five games, there is still apparently belief within the Dolphins front office that Flores was the right choice to come in and establish Miami as a contender in the near future. Flores has the pedigree having won three different Super Bowls with the Patriots, as a defensive assistant.

And, the team and GM Chris Grier have obviously decided to gut the roster of any veteran players of consequence that were making significant money. Prominent players LT Laremy Tunsil, WR Kenny Stills, LB Kiko Alonso and last year’s first round pick, Minkah Fitzpatrick, were all dealt away in three week period in late August and early September. Thus, gutting the team of veteran contributors.

This essentially tied Flores’ hands on being able to be competitive for this season.

Now, it’s not unheard of that an owner, the Dolphins Stephen Ross in this case, could change his mind and still make a move on Flores after only a year.

But, with the circumstances laid out above, it seems clear that all of three of the key figures are on the same page that Flores isn’t going to pay for an 0-16, 1-15 type season with his job.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins were back to their bumbling ways Sunday

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

As the Dolphins came back down to earth in a humbling 37 – 20 loss to Buffalo Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium, many of the same flaws from their  0- 7 start were back.

Although Ryan Fitzpatrick ended with good numbers and did not throw an interception, Miami lacked offensive punch from the outset.

Miami punted the ball on each of their first four possessions and by the time they had reached the middle of the second quarter, it was already 16 – 0 in favor of the Bills.

The Dolphins could not run the ball as Kalen Ballage had nine carries for only nine yards against what’s a good but not great Buffalo defense. Newly extended receiver Allen Hurns promptly fumbled after a first half reception.

It looked all too familiar to the home fans.

The pass protection was poor as Fitzpatrick suffered seven sacks in the game, and Miami was completely one-dimensional by the time the second half rolled around. Fitzpatrick was efficient in the air at 32 – 45 for 323 yards, but a lot of those yards came when the Dolphins trailed by more than two scores the whole second half.

As for the Bills, they ran the ball just fine with 168 yards on the ground and a 5 yard per carry average. Rookie Devin Singletary of FAU came back to the area and tallied 75 yards. And second year QB Josh Allen showed one of the traits that got him drafted in the top 15, as he scrambled seven times for 56 yards, including a second-half touchdown.

Yes, The Bills are putting themselves in position to be back in the playoffs for the second time in three years, as they completed the season sweep over the Fins.

It’s the kind of improvement under coach Sean McDermott that Miami eventually wants to see with coach Brian Flores. But, days after Flores was doing his best Bill Belichick “we’re on to Buffalo” with media questions, Miami was “on to another loss.”

And, as the Dolphins sank to 2 – 8, their reality is they aren’t talented enough or coached well enough, across-the-board to play good football game in and game out.

Buffalo reminded them of that Sunday.

Continue Reading

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins give veteran WR Hurns new deal

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports

In a season that began horribly at 0- 7, the Dolphins have begun to come around and now, put some pieces into place for the future. That includes re-upping a veteran wide receiver on Saturday.

The team announced a new two-year extension for wideout Allen Hurns Saturday. And while it’s only a modest contract, it is a signal but the team is trying to build with at least some veteran players in the future..

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport had the contract details on Hurns is getting a new $8 million dollar extension through 2021:

This  is a raise over his 1-year 2.5 million contract he signed with Miami on the eve of training camp.

Hurns entered the league undrafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2014. His best season in North Florida was 2015, where he caught for just over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. After getting a four year extension from the Jags, they cut him loose to free up cap space after the 2017 season.

Hurns then signed a two-year contract with the Dallas Cowboys worth $12 million. However, after he played all 16 games in the regular season with 20 catches and 2 TDs, he suffered a horrific broken ankle in the Cowboys playoff win over Seattle, and was placed on injured reserve.

Dallas eventually released Hurns earlier this year and that’s when Dolphins GM Chris Grier swooped in bring a veteran presence to their locker room on a one year deal.

Hurns, who just turned 28 earlier this week, has played in nine games this season with three starts, including the last two. He doesn’t have more than three catches in any of them and only one touchdown, which came in the Monday night loss to the Steelers three weeks ago. Hurns also suffered a severe concussion against his team, Dallas, in week three.

It is obvious that Miami went on a veteran purge for most of their roster in the offseason and the beginning of this year. And, that included getting rid of veteran speedster Kenny Stills in a huge trade with team-mate Laremy Tunsil to the Texans on the eve of the season.

That brought the Dolphins to number one picks in return. Miami also released veteran slot receiver Danny Amendola in a salary cap move earlier this year.

Miami wants to count on former number one pick DeVante Parker. And, they were also very high on undrafted free agent Preston Williams before he suffered an ACL injury in the win over the Jets two weeks ago.

Finally, as has been the case with Hurns’ last couple of deals, the contract only reportedly has $3.2 million guaranteed and is therefore team friendly to get rid of him, if they choose to do so at any point next season.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement Big Savings for Big Fans at Fanatics.com

Trending