Connect with us

Miami Dolphins

Former Dolphins and current Bills player Richie Incognito accused of racial slurs

Ari Russell

Published

on

(USA Today - Timothy L. Ludwig)

Former Miami Dolphins and current Buffalo Bills offensive lineman Richie Incognito is finding himself in controversy yet again. This time Incognito is being accused of using racial slurs during the Bills 10-3 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.

Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue is saying that throughout the game, Incognito was using racial slurs. Ngakoue took to Twitter about the incidents:

By 64, Ngakoue is referring to Incognito. Check out the hashtag though. He brings up Jonathan Martin. If you recall it was Incognito who was the ring leader in what resulted in Jonathan Martin leaving the Dolphins midway through the 2013 season.

Incognito along with Mike Pouncey and John Jerry were being accused of verbally abusing Martin throughout the season. It go so bad that Martin decided to leave the team. When Martin tossed the allegations out about these issues, which included racially insensitive comments uttered by Incognito, allegedly, the NFL hired Ted Wells as an independent investigator.

What Wells found out was that Incognito was the ring leader in harassing Martin. Once everything was made public, Incognito would get cut by the Dolphins and would be out of work until the Bills picked him up in 2015, which he has played since.

On Monday afternoon, Ngakoue repeated to the media that Incognito used a racial slur Sunday directed at his African heritage, but again, would not be specific. “He knows what he said, I don’t have to repeat it,’’ Ngakoue said. “I’ve been playing this game since I was a little kid, you hear all type of stuff, stuff is not going to bother you. But if somebody says something about your ethnicity that’s really kind of taking it a little bit too far. I’m all with trash talking, it’s part of the game. But you can’t say certain things.’’

Further, coach Doug Marrone told the media at his Monday press conference that the NFL is, in fact, investigating Ngakoue’s claim.

The fact that Incognito is once again in the middle of a major controversy clearly isn’t a surprise. He has been trouble since his days at Nebraska. After getting kicked out of the program and school at Nebraska, he transferred to Oregon. At Oregon he only lasted two weeks as he once again was showing no signs of rehabilitating his character. He would be forced to leave that program as well.

Incognito would be drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the third round. Throughout his career he would be constantly battling the mantra of being a dirty player as he would be constantly fined for his antics. In 2010 he would land with the Miami Dolphins where his incessant trolling would be taken to higher measures.

He had been rather tame while in Buffalo, until the most recent complaints. You may ask yourself why he keeps getting jobs. Well he made the Pro Bowl this season, so clearly he’s extremely talented. But he’s also a trouble maker and it was only a matter of time for his troubles to catch up to the Bills. On Sunday, we finally got yet another glimpse of troubled player who can’t seem to get out his own way.

Born in the Nation’s Capital, Washington D.C., Ari Russell watched the rise of the 1980’s Miami Hurricanes and knew that he had to be part of the “U” someday. After graduating from Coral Gables, Ari rose through the ranks of the former XM Satellite Radio and then Sirius/XM as college football executive producer. He later spent 2 seasons as the publisher of the website “Beyond U Sports” focusing on major college football/basketball. Ari brings a great perspective on everything Miami, including the Dolphins to F.F.I.

Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins new policy threatens to suspend players for anthem protests

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

We already know that the NFL has enacted a new national anthem policy being left up to teams to enforce and it has caused controversy. Well, now the Dolphins have taken that to a new level by threatening to suspend players next season for protesting on the field during the anthem.

The story was broken by the Associated Press late Thursday afternoon, where they obtained the new nine-page policy that the Dolphins have set out for their players.

In a section titled “Proper Anthem Conduct,” there is a sentence dealing with anthem protests under a large list of “conduct detrimental to the club” acts.  All of which, could lead to a paid or unpaid suspension or both. This is according to an anonymous team source familiar, who provided the policy to the AP.

The new NFL policy voted in by the owners in May allows teams to discipline players for anthem protesting, while on the field. The policy does allow for players who are objecting to the anthem to remain in the locker room, if they so choose.

The NFL declined comment, when the Associated Press reached them about the leaking of the Dolphins team policy. Dolphins officials also had no comment to the Associated Press on Thursday afternoon

Dolphins receiver Kenny Stills, and former safety Michael Thomas and former tight end Julius Thomas are shown above kneeling during the anthem in a game in November of last season.

Thursday’s leaking of the policy is the latest in the national anthem Saga for Miami, where owner Stephen Ross defended players protesting the anthem, previously.

However, earlier this year, Ross made comments at a New York event where he was being honored, suggesting he wanted the anthem protests to be over with, and even hinted then that there could be punishment down the road.

Ross quickly backpedaled and clarified those comments the next day after a firestorm of controversy that started.

ESPN NFL reporter Jeff Darlington, who is formerly a Dolphins media member, reported Thursday evening that the policy submitted to the league and to be given to the players isn’t a “this for that” definite suspension threat:

However, the Fins clearly have anthem protests spelled out as a punishable offense, according the AP, which has seen it.

The interesting dynamic is that the teams themselves are being left to impose penalties, as they see fit and not the league doing so with a black and white policy that lays out specific punishment.

Continue Reading

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins cornerstone player for 2018?

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

It’s a pivotal year for the Dolphins, their head coach Adam Gase, their front office of Mike Tannenbaum and Chris Grier, and most importantly, QB Ryan Tannehill.

Miami is certainly taking a risk bringing back Tannehill off of missing all of 2017 with re-injury to his ACL. A risk, because they didn’t elect to make a play for a “quarterback of the future” in this year’s draft. This despite flirting heavily with the likes of Baker Mayfiled, and a player like Lamar Jackson being readily available for them, when they drafted at #11.

And, the Fins dealt away Pro Bowl wide receiver Jarvis Landry for not much in return, because they didn’t want to pay him huge dollars. And then, with getting rid of fellow Pro Bowl defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to save on the salary cap, the clear star or leader remaining is Tannehill.

And Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase are banking that he will be back to his 2016 pre-injury play of 2016 that put the Dolphins in position to make the playoffs.

Gase has made it no secret that they have made their decision and have built around Tannehill. As we wrote about early last month, the third year coach has repeatedly backed his QB, who’s about to play for his sixth season. Gase saying to SI.com’s Albert Breer last month:

“Just being around him (Tannehill), this being my third year, the guy competes as hard as anyone I’ve been around, especially at that position. And it’s a good feeling as a coach when we’ve got him back out there.”

And they hope to have at the level where he was, when he injured the knee in the week 14 home game with Arizona two years ago. Through 13 games, he had his highest completion percentage (67.5%), yards per attempt (7.7) and quarterback rating (93.5).

There are new veteran faces on offense like RB Frank Gore, and WR Danny Amendola, who both have years of winning and post season experience to bring to the huddle.

Still, in most NFL locker rooms, the QB is the “face of the franchise,” the leader and the one most scrutinized.

And Ryan Tannehill will be that for this fall.

He’s the foundation, for at least the start of this year, that Miami will try to build their fortunes.

Continue Reading

Miami Dolphins

Dolphins moving eventually to new facility near Hard Rock Stadium?

Florida Football Insiders

Published

on

Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

It’s not as earth shattering as a huge free agent signing or hosting a playoff game, but the fact that the Dolphins are close to moving locations from their current training complex in Davie to a more convenient one next to Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens is a big deal.

The Miami Herald had the  details on Saturday:

From the Herald’s item, there is definitely some competitive interest in luring the Dolphins away:

Miami Gardens might defray the cost of security in and around Hard Rock Stadium to help seal the deal, and Miami-Dade County could amend the existing stadium renovation agreement that pays the Dolphins a bonus for hosting major events.

“Twenty-five years ago, the Dolphins moved their football headquarters from North Dade to Davie, and I’ve wanted them back ever since,” Miami Dade Commissioner Barbara Jordan said. “When I heard Mr. Ross was considering a new $50 million practice facility in Broward, I knew we had to have a conversation about bringing this massive private investment to Miami-Dade. To me, it’s a perfect fit for our community and will bring a lot of economic activity to Miami-Dade.”

Added Miami Gardens Mayor Oliver Gilbert: “From Top Golf to the Super Bowl, Miami Gardens has become a destination for world-class entertainment, and venues that attract visitors on a consistent basis are a critical component of economic development. Between the Miami Open and Miami Dolphins training camp, we can generate $100 million-plus in privately funded construction, hundreds of good-paying jobs, a significant boost to our tax base and new opportunities for residents to live, work and play. It would be great to bring the Miami Dolphins training facility back home to the 305.”

So, clearly there’s some “wooing” going on, and if Fins owner Stephen Ross is going to privately fund the new facility to the tune of at least $50 and maybe as high as, $75 million, then there is ample reason to try to lure them. Ross has already put over $500 million of his own money into a three year renovation of Hard Rock Stadium.

The Dolphins training adjacent to the stadium where they play or in the same complex area, is not uncommon. In the cases of Florida’s other two NFL teams: the Jaguars train adjacent to TIAA Bank Field, and the Bucs complex is across the street from Raymond James Stadium.

And, there are other examples of the Bengals, the Texans, and the Patriots who train either next to or in the same complex as where they play on Sundays.

The reality is that the new facility will not be ready for at least another two seasons, no matter where it’s located. Still, the convenience and new design will also be an asset for the Dolphins to attract players, too.

Now it’s up to the franchise to decide where and how soon, they want to build.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending