TAMPA – Since the start of the 2016 season, the Buccaneers have had a runner gain 100 yards or more in a single game just three times. None of them are named Doug Martin, but there’s little to suggest that Martin is on the brink of losing his job as the Bucs feature back because of it.
Though Peyton Barber ran 23 times for 104 yards during his first extended look of the season last week, the Bucs do not appear to be ruling out the possibility of starting Martin ahead of Barber now Martin has been released from the league’s concussion protocol.
“It remains to be seen until he’s cleared (from the protocol), but it’s a good problem to have,’’ Bucs offensive coordinator Todd Monken said. “I mean, Doug’s a good football player. And Peyton had a good week last week. But I think we also blocked well last week and schemed it up well last week. All those things (were) a part of (Barber’s success).’’
Monken added that the Bucs have “knocked around’’ the idea of how well Martin would have run under the same circumstances Barber had, which suggests they’d like to see if Martin could indeed regain some of his old magic should the scheme and line play work in his favor.
“I know what Doug brings but it’s hard to say,’’ Monken said. “It just didn’t work out that way where Doug was out there (last week when we were blocking well). But the last few weeks I thought we’ve done a better job of getting push and creating some seams for our running backs and it started to show early in the Atlanta game.’’
Martin started that game and ran seven times for 33 yards (4.7 per carry) and also turned a short pass into a 9-yard gain that was wiped out by a holding call before leaving the game with the concussion that kept him out of the Green Bay game.
That kind production may have the Bucs believing Martin could put together a good day just as easily as Barber if he can get the same kind of blocking effort that Barber received. After all, Monken believes that may have been the Bucs best run-blocking effort of the year.
“It certainly felt that way,’’ said Monken, who also credited Barber with making a lot of yards after contact. Of course, that’s something Martin has usually done a good job of as well, so it’s possible the Bucs could go with either Barber or Martin and benefit either way.
The bigger question, though, is what do the Bucs plan to do at the position moving forward. Martin’s salary next year jumps to $6.75 million, which is a lot to pay for a back who’s as injury-prone and inconsistent as Martin is.
That’s one reason they might want to spend the last few weeks looking more closely at Barber, who might be able to give them the same kind of production as Martin but at a much cheaper price. Then again, if the Bucs were confident Barber would do that he probably would have started for them weeks ago.
The bottom line here is that the Bucs clearly have some evaluating left to do at the running back spot and that these next few weeks may indeed prove to be something akin to a training camp battle designed to determine just who the better option is going forward.
Bucs coach Arians again non-committal Tuesday on QB Winston
It’s become increasingly apparent, that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are ready to move on from potential free agent quarterback Jameis Winston. And Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, coach Bruce Arians gave the latest example that he and the Buccaneers front office will look at the other options available first.
Arians spoke at a podium on numerous subjects, but the most prominent is what Tampa Bay will do in the coming days with Winston?
— Charlie Clifford (@cliffWISH8) February 25, 2020
Arians was asked directly about potential for a franchise tag for his starter a year ago and what the Bucs might proceed to do? But, he refused to endorse that option on the former number one overall pick Winston. And, the Bucs coach maintained that the team will possibly us the franchise tag for defensive end Shaq Barrett.
Further, Arians gave a pointed specific answer on Winston’s poor play last December as the team finished 7-9 and that has the team looking at other options,
Arians on Winston and why it’s still uncertain: “December wasn’t what I wanted to see.”
— Greg Auman (@gregauman) February 25, 2020
Arians has consistently refused back Winston since the off-season began. This included at an NFL coaching seminar earlier this month in Tampa. He said to the media at that time:
“Really nothing has changed,” Arians said. “What’s Door No. 2? You know? Can we make the one we have better? All those things you go through right now.”
“You’re just sitting there waiting to see is there someone available? … Is he a better option?
The Buccaneers faltered in the middle of the season to drop to 3-7 and then, Winston and Co. blew its final two games to finish 7 – 9 with Winston throwing a career-high 30 interceptions.
After their final loss at home to Atlanta in overtime, where Winston threw the game losing “pick six,” Arians was candid after the final game by saying about Winston’s play that it would have to be evaluated pass by pass and game by game in the off-season. Further, he told the media then, that there “was some great and some terrible…. and you have to decide, if the great outweighs the terrible.”
While Winston did throw for a career-high 5000 + yards in 2019, his interceptions and total turnovers continued to be his downfall throughout the season. The Buccaneers finished 1 – 6 in games against teams with winning records and Winston had 17 total turnovers in those seven games. He finished with the 30 picks that included 10 of them in the Bucs final four games.
Tampa Bay obviously will have the opportunity to go after a free agent quarterback or two, as there is much speculation about the likes of Tom Brady with the Patriots. Plus, Philip Rivers will not be re-signed by the Chargers and is available come March. And, now that Drew Brees has announced he wants to play at least one more year for the Saints, their backup Teddy Bridgewater will be in demand on the market.
The Bucs are also continuing the evaluating the QB class for the Draft the next few days in Indy, which could have some interesting names still available in the second and third rounds and beyond.
Bucs confirmed Monday they will have new uniforms in 2020
On Monday, the Bucs confirmed what they have been hinting at, they will have new uniforms in 2020. But the real question is: what does “new” mean in this instance?
We heard you!
New uniforms coming April 2020. pic.twitter.com/e7qNUsNWZb
— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@Buccaneers) February 24, 2020
The Bucs also released a statement through their website confirming that April will be the unveiling of the new uniforms, as well as, potential new color scheme, logo, etc. and had these comments from co – owner, Ed Glazer:
“We have heard the feedback from our fans loud and clear and have been working with the NFL and our league partners at Nike to usher in a new look as we enter this next decade of Buccaneers football. We look forward to revealing more details in the near future about our official unveiling event which will take place later this spring.”
As we wrote earlier this month, the Buccaneers have been hinting at trying to enhance their uniforms and there is some belief there will be more orange, the original color of the franchise. There is also educated speculation that the team may go back to a white helmet, which will enable them to have “throwback uniform games” that they’ve not been able to have for the last seven seasons.
This is because under league concussion protocol, players must have the same helmet all season and the Bucs primary one has been pewter in color since their chance in colors and logo in 1997,
The Bucs last altered their uniforms in 2014 by brightening the color red and slightly changing the logo and making it bigger on their pewter helmet. Teammates Ryan Jensen and Mike Evans are shown in the current color scheme, etc. above.
NFL teams have to submit changes in their colors and logos a year in advance. So obviously, this has been in the works for the Glazer family that owns the team for some time.
It should be noted that the Buccaneers NFC South Rivals, the Atlanta Falcons, have already made mention that they are changing their uniforms and color scheme. And, it’s believed that they will go back in 2020 to their original base color of red including possibly red helmets and potentially, primarily gray pants that they wore for over twenty years.
The Falcons have had black helmets for the better part of 30 years going back to Jerry Glanville changing the color scheme to primarily black jerseys in his days at the Falcons coach in the early 1990s.
Back to the Bucs. There is no other team in the NFL that has orange as their primary jersey color. The Bengals Broncos and Browns have occasionally worn orange “alternate jerseys” but not full time.
So, if the Glazers are again embracing a change to mostly orange jerseys, it will be unique. The video Monday showed a red jersey on a sewing machine, which could be a clue or could be misdirection of what the team actually intends to unveil in April.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers1 day ago
Bucs confirmed Monday they will have new uniforms in 2020
News4 days ago
Report- new 17th game for NFL teams will all be International
Tampa Bay Buccaneers1 week ago
Peter King- “Bridgewater to Tampa Bay makes sense”
Tampa Bay Buccaneers1 week ago
NFL analyst- Bucs DE Shaq Barrett top player in free agency